The next step working on our cabin was taking the old shingles off and putting panels of tin on the roof. This took way longer then I thought. Mostly because of Dean’s terrifying ways of getting the work done.
To start, the old shingles needed to be taken off the roof. Our tractor had the bale fork on the front so we just strapped a pallet onto the fork and put the ladder on there to get up on the one side of the roof. On the other side we parked the truck and put a ladder in the box to get up on that side. Dean sat on the peak of the roof to scrap off the shingles. There was no way I wanted to be that high up in the air especially with no safety harness. This didn’t seem to bother Dean. He said he’d done it before and knew what he was doing. He used a shovel and scraped the shingles off and pushed them off the roof onto the ground. Besides taking pictures of Dean & all the work he was doing, I cleaned up the garbage thrown on the ground.
With all the old shingles off the roof, next was replacing a few rotten boards in the roof. After that was done we put a layer of roofing felt on the roof. Next up was measuring, cutting and securing the tin panels. Once again, Dean said he had done this kind of work before and knew what to do. Of course I believed him. Oh boy was I wrong! Dean wanted to be near the peak of the roof to screw the tin panel in place. To do this he had a small ladder up on one side of the roof. This ladder was tied with a rope and that rope was thrown over the top of the other side of the roof and tied to a barbed wire fence beside the cabin. Once I realized Dean would be standing on that ladder with his full weight, I knew that barbed wire wouldn’t hold. I noticed some of the nails holding the barbed wire were missing or loose and the barbed wire would come off of the fence posts once Dean stood on the ladder. It seemed so unsafe! At first Dean didn’t seem to understand my concern about the barbed wire fence. He thought it would be fine. Just so you know, I’m a very cautious person and don’t like to get hurt. Dean on the other hand lives a bit more dangerously and he has many scars to confirm that! After a bit of a discussion, and by discussion I mean me threatening him, he agreed that it needed to be more securely fasten and Dean got tie down straps. He secured the strap to the ladder and then to the bottom of the stack mover that the cabin was sitting on top of. I felt so much better knowing Dean wouldn’t plummet 20 feet off that roof and get hurt.
Once the ladder was secured, we placed the tin panels on the roof and screwed them down. Dean drilled the screws in at the top and I drilled them in at the bottom of each panel. This was the first time I had ever done any kind of roofing task and while it was a bit hard to drill into the tin panel, it was an interesting and fun job. I learned that the screws hold more securely in one location instead of another.
We got all the tin panels on the roof and then put on the roof ridge. I think we did a good job and luckily no one got hurt!