Since I’ve started to make lots of my own homemade cleaning and household items with less chemicals in the ingredients, I also thought, why not body wax & shaving cream. I googled and searched pinterest and found these simple recipes and made my own wax & shaving cream. I was very happy with the results. The wax is the same as salons but with less chemicals and no strong smells. Here’s the simple recipe for body wax.
Homemade Body Wax
- 3 cups sugar
- ½ cup water or enough to cover the sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice or vinegar
Put the sugar in a pot and add water just to cover the sugar. Do not add much water as it will take more time for it to transform into wax.
Heat the pot over medium heat on the stove. Stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves completely.
Add lemon juice or vinegar and keep stirring until a wax-like consistency is reached. This should take about fifteen to twenty minutes.
Once the required consistency is reached, remove the wax from the pot and let the wax cool to room temperature.
Using the Homemade Wax
Before starting to wax, wash the body with warm water. Pat it dry with a towel.
- You’ll need waxing strips. If you don’t have waxing strips, you can use any old cloth which is tight and rough, for example strips of old jeans or an old towel. Make sure that it is stiff enough to sit on the wax, it shouldn’t be a soft material.
- Use a popsicle stick or blunt knife for application of the wax.
- Have cold water close by in case the hot wax causes a burn.
- Apply a thin layer of wax on the body area with the popsicle stick or blunt knife. Make sure the wax is not too hot! It can cause burns.
- Apply the waxing strip/cloth over the wax and press it onto the wax slowly.
- Remove the strip/cloth quickly in the direction opposite to the hair growth.
- It will painful if you remove it slowly.
- You can apply this wax on areas like underarms, bikini line, and legs.
- I don’t suggest application of this wax on private or sensitive areas of your body.
- After waxing is done, apply any moisturizer lotion.
You can prepare some wax earlier and heat it when you need it. It can be stored in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
The first few times I used this, it was a bit of a mess. Getting coordinated to apply the wax & remove it from my body took a bit of practice. Having used no chemicals in this wax and the money saved by not paying to get this done at the salon have made making this body wax worth it.
If you don’t like waxing but need your body hair removed, here’s a chemical-free shaving cream to try instead.
Chemical-Free Shaving Cream
Having sensitive skin sometimes makes it hard to find products that won’t irritate our skin. Or if we find products we can use, the price is much too high. My husband and I have used this shaving cream and really like the basic ingredients that moisturize and heal the body at the same time. Vitamin E is known as the skin vitamin. Creating your own blend with these ingredients can result in your very own free from preservatives, chemicals, perfumes and dyes – shaving cream.
- 2/3 cup Shea nut oil or Shea butter
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 10 – 20 drops of your favorite essential oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- contents of 2 vitamin E capsules (optional)
Melt Shea nut oil & coconut oil together in a small pot or top of a double boiler. Turn off the heat and stir in the olive oil.
When melted add essential oil. Stir well.
Pour it into a container or leave it in the bowl (if you were using a double boiler).
Set it in the fridge to harden. Once it has solidified, remove and let it soften slightly.
Add the baking soda and contents of 2 vitamin E capsules (optional).
Beat until it’s light and fluffy and looks like it could easily spread.
Apply generously to wherever you’re shaving and rinse when done.
Store in a cool dark spot when not in use. Can keep up to a month.