While spending a fun week of camping and eating lots of foods he shouldn’t have, my husband had a bit of an issue with heartburn. Unfortunately he forgot his medication at home and we weren’t close to any stores. Luckily for us a fellow camper was very helpful and gave him some ideas to fight the heartburn.
We had lots of these items in our camper so he had many options to help and get rid of the heartburn. Once we got home my husband decided to try the home solutions for his heartburn instead of the prescribed medication. It’s only been a couple of weeks but so far he’s been feeling good using the home remedies. He also checked with his doctor to be sure stopping the medication would be okay.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Baking soda: Mix 1/2 teaspoon – 1 teaspoon into a 8 oz size glass of water. Stir well and drink the whole glass.
2. Gum: Chew a piece of sugar-free gum for 30 minutes after a meal. Chewing gum increases the flow of saliva and dilutes stomach acid.
3. Sitting up while sleeping. While laying down when you sleep the acid easily goes up into your esophagus. Sitting up slightly, keeps the acids from going up and causing heartburn.
4. Apple cider vinegar: Mix 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of water. Drink this before each meal or before bedtime.
5. Natural almonds: Eating 3 or 4 natural almonds after a meal neutralizes acids in your stomach and heartburn doesn’t happen.
Ideally eating healthy and drinking less alcohol helps to decrease the acid that causes heartburn. It’s also good to have home remedies for those occasional heartburn attacks.
The camper who gave us these remedies was a retired nurse. Over the years she’d heard all kinds of home remedies for lots of health conditions. These heartburn remedies were suggestions she tried and found to work the best.